Enrollment for Microsoft Authenticode/Office-VBA Code Signing is a fairly simple process unlike Java Code signing. But there are some steps that need to be explained and remembered in order to have a successful enrollment, and certificate pickup.
Microsoft Authenticode/Office-VBA Code Signing is used to Digitally sign 32-bit or 64-bit user-mode (.exe, .cab, .dll, .ocx, .msi, .xpi, and .xap files) and windows kernel-mode software. As well as digitally sign Microsoft Office VBA objects, macros, and third-party applications using VBA.
Here is a list of things to be aware of when enrolling for Microsoft Authenticode/Office-VBA Code Signing:
- Certificate creation for Microsoft Authenticode/Office-VBA Code Signing is conducted in your browser during enrollment. Depending on the code signing product you will be advised on the enrollment requires, such as what browser to use.
Note: When enrolling for a code signing certificate through Acmetek or SSL2048 it is required to use a Firefox or Internet Explorer Browser for enrollment and pickup of the code signing certificate.
- The legal information added to the code signing certificate is pulled directly from the information you enter during enrollment.
- If you would like your code signing certificate to look a certain way you must specify it as such in all the required fields pertaining to Corporate Legal Name or Company fields.
acmetek global solutions inc will not give me the more visually appealing Acmetek Global Solutions, Inc. The enroller must state Acmetek Global Solutions, Inc. in order to get it on the issued certificate.
- If you have a subdivision that is responsible for this code signing certificate you will have the option to specify it under the Division or OU fields during enrollment.
- Important: During enrollment you will have the option to list the Technical Contact on the order. The enroller is actually creating the private key pair within their browser. It is important to keep this in mind for the following reasons…
- Once the certificate gets issued a email will be sent to the Technical Contact with instructions to click on a link in order to pick up their Microsoft code signing product. That link must be Clicked-on/Copy-Pasted into the same System/Browser that was used for the initial enrollment of the code signing certificate.
- If the enroller – Admin Contact is different than the Technical Contact that email must be forwarded to the enroller in order to Clicked-on/Copy-Paste the link into the same System/Browser that was used for the initial enrollment of the code signing certificate.
- The certificate pickup link must be Click-on/Copy-Paste the link into the same System/Browser that was used for the initial enrollment of the code signing certificate.
- Once you get confirmation in your browser that the code signing certificate has been installed you can begin your signing or export/backup the code signing certificate and distribute it to your developers.
- For instructions on how to export/backup your code signing certificate click on one of the links below for the corresponding browser you used.
How to export a certificate from Firefox
How to export a certificate from Internet Explorer
With your new Microsoft Code Signing certificate you will sign your windows based applications. For actual signing procedures, support and more information on how to code contact Microsoft.
SSLSupportDesk is part of Acmetek who is a trusted advisor of security solutions and services. They provide comprehensive security solutions that include Encryption & Authentication (SSL), Endpoint Protection, Multi-factor Authentication, PKI/Digital Signing Certificates, DDOS, WAF and Malware Removal. If you are looking for security look no further. Acmetek has it all covered!
Contact an SSL Specialist to get a consultation on the Website Security Solutions that can fit your needs.
Become a Partner and create additional revenue stream while the heavy lifting for you.